Thursday, March 19, 2009

Born into sin?

I listened to a sermon last night and the preacher talked about how we are born into sin, which I understand. Here is my thought, if we are born into sin and each must come to a relationship with Christ as He is the only one who can save us (save being a process that we go through til we die, not a one time event [just my belief anyways]). Where does the idea of babies go to Heaven come from? Is this just something we tell ourselves so we feel good about a very tragic event? Is there really such a thing as "an age of accountability"? Do we think that since God is a loving God, He wouldn't let young babies go to Hell? HUMMMMM,

thoughts, questions, concerns?

3 comments:

  1. I think that we dont always realize what the means "born into sin" I dont think that it means that as soon as we come out of our mothers we are automatically sinners. We are born into a sinful world. But we still have that innocents. I dont think that God would create a baby and then if he or she dies she would go to hell. I dont think it is a feel good feeling. And as of the age of accountability C.S. Lewis had a few good ideas on this. I believe that there is a age, but i dont think it is as young as some people feel. It has become an excuse for a some. I see that a ton in the youth group. I am not at home but when we get back i have a bunch of books on cs lewis and i can go into more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought of the concept of us being born into a sinful world, and not necessarily born sinners. . . interesting point. I will have to chew on that one for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well one of the most clearest pieces of scripture dealing with the idea of an "age of accountability" is Romans 1:20 "for since the creation of the world Gods invisible qualities-His eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, becoming understood from what has been made so that people are without excuse" that being said on the topic of baby deaths, in the weslyan tradition (i.e. nazarene) we have a belief in prevenient grace or we believe that grace "goes before" that means that babies that die that have not reached an age of accountability or perhaps people with mental disabilities so extensive that they are stuck with the mind of a 1 year old are covered by grace and will not go to hell because their minds have not reached or cannot reach an understanding of God

    ReplyDelete